Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chicken Dance

I've been trying to upload pictures for what feels like hours now, so I'm finally giving up. You'll just have to visualize the absolute cuteness of the two-day old chicks my daddy has been raising in a dog kennel. This post was supposed to be pictures of super cute baby chicks being looked at by my super cute babies...a cuteapalooza, if you will. But since I can't sugar coat your eyes with cuteness, you'll just have to visualize the sitcom antics that were my mom and me chasing baby chicks around the yard this morning. My dad called from work and told my mom to go out and check and see if anymore chicks had hatched. (He had moved all 9 of the two-day old chicks to a big incubator in the chicken coop, but still had about 4 eggs in the dog kennel.) The babies, my mom, and me all made the trek out to the barn to check the chick situation. (One of the eggs had hatched.) As we were heading back toward the house, we heard baby chick cheeping coming from under the barn, then a baby chick ran by. My mom screamed, "Oh no! All the chicks are out! They've escaped!" Not one to let my mom outdo me in the dramatics department, "Oh no! Daddy's going to die if anything happens to these chicks!" Before I knew it, my mom was gone and I found myself chasing a black baby chick with help from Kyle and Reed. I rationalized that the chick should respond to me similar to the babies so I called, "Here little baby chick, come to Mama." And the little black chick actually waddled over and climbed in my hand. (Kyle really wanted to hold it, but I was afraid he might just love it too much.) About that time I hear my mom coming. Phone to her ear she's telling my dad, "All the chicks are out. Jan's chasing them all over the yard. Well, she's got one in her hand now." Next thing I knew, I was on the phone with my dad. "Yeah Daddy, I'm holding one now. They were running around under the barn." My dad told us to find as many as we could, and put them back in the incubator. We then started chasing a little yellow chick. This one didn't respond to me like the black chick did, and I was pretty sure Kyle was going to step on it since he was right in the middle of the chick chasing. By this time, my mom was definitely tired of chasing chicks, she swooped in and grabbed that yellow chick up like nobody's business. After the chicks were put away she turned to me and said, "I don't even want these things and here I am having to chase them! I never imagined myself having to chase bittys around the yard!" Y'all think I'm not very outdoorsy? You should meet my mom. Anything that might mess up her hair is definitely not on the approved list of enjoyable activities. After things had calmed down she said, "I don't think those chicks could have gotten out of that incubator and lived. I think those chicks hatched under the barn." And my mom, lover of indoors, was completely right. The chicks we were chasing didn't get out of the incubator, they were "hatched under the barn chicks"! As we were discussing the chick activities of the day my dad's new peacocks walked by. He said, "Ya know, peacocks live 30 years." I said, "Oh my goodness, I'm going to have to be dealing with these same peacocks when I'm an old woman." To which my mom quickly replied, "Welcome to my life."

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Aawwww. I can't wait to see the cutepalooza pictures!

Coincidentally, the first spankin' I ever got was for holding the little chickies that my parents were raising without supervision. They, like you, were afraid that I might love them a little too much. :-)

Friedt Family said...

Love it, I can see it now! This story is similar to a story I have about my mom, Brian and I and some baby mice...but my story involves more screaming than actual words, I'll share it some other time:-)

Anonymous said...

I can see the madness, but can't wait to see the cutepalooza pictures! And welcome to "your life" of peacocks! Bet Kyle and Reed "loved it!.
Lu

allison said...

hahahahaahahahaha I wish I could have been there to see that!