Sunday, November 16, 2008

So Late I'm Embarrassed

I'm ashamed to say that only today did I finish getting our Christmas trees up. I'm also embarrassed to say that we are only having 2 Christmas trees this year. I know! I'm always fully decorated by this time of the year, in fact, I've been known to have up ALL the trees before Halloween. But not this year. I'm giving myself a pass this year. And, for those of you that are still in shock over my lack of decorating, I just so happen to have my excuse list handy:
1. The babies are crawling and in to everything. They could have a Christmas tree in the floor in 10 seconds flat.
2. With the impending move on the horizon, we're still not sure when the packers will be scheduled. If it happens to be a few days before Christmas, that would be an awful lot of undecorating right at Christmas time.
3. I just don't have the time this year. I really hate this excuse, nothing aggravates Jason and me more than people being "too busy". But, with the move, the babies, Jason's traveling, and JR with all his extracurriculars, I'm going to play the busy card.
4. Since we're moving, we aren't going to have a Christmas party, so I'd really just be decorating for JR and me to ooh and ahh over. (Can you believe Jason isn't really into oohhing and ahhing over Christmas decorations?)
Is that enough? I think so.
AND, I also did something I really never thought I would do. I let JR decorate the tree today, and I didn't re-do it. One of my favorite Friends episodes is the one where everybody's decorating the tree, and their commenting on how they can't believe Monica's letting them decorate. When they stand back to admire their work, Monica swings the tree around to her perfectly decorated side so theirs is hidden in the back. I couldn't stop thinking about that today. But, I'm letting the tree stay the way it is, and since I'm not having a party. Who's going to see it? JR must have inherited the Reynolds' love of Christmas decorating. He was so proud of his work today. I told him, "Put every ornament on a different branch so that each ornament feels special." (to avoid all the ornaments winding up on one branch) He really liked that, and every time Jason would walk through the room he'd tell him, "Daddy! Every ornament has to be on a different branch so it knows it's special!" As you can see from the picture, JR was very serious about his work, but you'll also notice that he's still very much an Ingersoll since, true to form, he decorated the tree shirtless! The only other tree I have up this year is JR's tree. He wanted a tree in his room and informed me, "Mommy! I want a big tree this year. Not a little tree." JR and I put up his tree last week and I did move the ornaments as he was hanging them. I took some of his old school projects and made ornaments out of them, which I think came out really cute. He stands and looks at the tree in his room and says, "It's just too beautiful. I want Santa to put the presents right here. You know, Santa loves Christmas because he loves God." Oh, that JR. He can be a sweetie when he wants to be...and it's amazing how sweet he can be as Christmas time approaches, especially since Jason and I have Santa's phone number on speed dial! So, here's JR with his tree. And as you can see, I still couldn't convince him to put on a shirt...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I have my list of excuses ready for not having but 2 trees up: 1. I've been in Houston watching the babies crawl. 2. Everything I put up, I remember I have to take it down. 3. I'm waiting for JR to come help me. MR

Anonymous said...

Way to go JR - beautiful trees - that gives Mommy time to work on the stockings! No matter how far behind you are, you are two trees ahead of me.

GS

Me Me Me said...

Wait! Momma Reynolds was in town and I didn't know??!!!!

I'm currently trying to convince Geoff that it's not too early to start putting my trees up. He doesn't seem to agree with me. boo!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tree JR!
Lu

Kristi said...

Y'all did a great job!