Saturday, May 16, 2009

Walkin' with the K

Here's JR's little Colorado Kindergarten class. I really don't love this picture of JR, but when I started looking at the other little boys I noticed that they all look about the same too. What is it with boys this age that they don't know how to take a picture? Look how all those little girls pose so cute. (And for those of you that know the "day 21" story, his teacher is the blonde; teacher's aid the brunette.) Poor JR, he didn't even start the year in Kindergarten, but here he is finishing it. It seems like a million years ago he was going to school in Houston. I guess Houston seems so far away because life here is so completely different. Perfect example: Friday JR had a field trip at school. They were going to the public library and the Durango Fish Hatchery. Now it's not the actual field trip that's so different than Houston, but the way they got there. They walked. And this isn't a short walk either, I'd say it's about 2 miles. Jason and I started laughing the minute we heard they were walking. We were saying, "Can you imagine telling school kids in Houston they had to walk for a field trip? They'd have so many complaints from parents...'My baby can't walk in this heat, my child has asthma, my kid has a hurt toe'...it'd be never ending. You know they'd have to wind up getting a bus for them." Jason asked, "Did the teacher send home a note saying they needed to wear tennis shoes?" I said, "No, the note just said they'd be walking, and JR said she told the girls not to 'wear their high heels that day'."
Here it's just the complete opposite than in Houston. I think the Durango parents would have been outraged if the kids hadn't walked. But I do have to admit, if I was the teacher, I certainly wouldn't want to have to walk 2 miles in the Houston heat for a field trip...Bring on the bus, Um, my toe hurts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No doubt about it. He's the cutest K in the picture. I'm with you.."Where's the bus and turn the AC on high!" Maw-Maw

Granny S said...

I like the picture - best lookin' in the class.

From a non-biased Grandmother!