Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Goal #1

So lately I've been thinking about the people you see on TV or read about in magazines that were ridiculously overweight and now they're super skinny, fit, and running marathons. And they'll say something like, 'Oh, when I started I couldn't even walk to the mailbox, and just last week I completed my 6th marathon.' Well, I've been in Durango for 4 months now, and I still can't walk to my mailbox. I'm not exaggerating. I'm completely out of breath, and my calves are not just burning, but on fire, by the time I get there. Of course I have to walk up two hills (Texans, they're really mountains by our standards.) at 7,500 ft elevation to actually get to my mailbox. But I thought after 4 months I'd be able to do it without needing to stop and catch my breath. Nope. Oh, how I love those stop signs...I make sure to check for traffic a couple of times...just to be on the safe side. So I'm guessing my fitness goals aren't ever going to make it to 'running a maration' while living here. So here are my fitness goals so far:
Goal #1- Walk to mailbox without getting winded.
I thought those of you that know me might think I was being a bit dramatic about the actual height location of my mailbox, so I took some pictures yesterday. Let's take a look at the proof, shall we?
So this is the first "hill" we have to climb. And as I was trying to take a picture, Hunter decided that he, too, is having problems in this altitude and felt that riding to the mailbox was a much better idea than walking. The babies thought it was funny at first, but quickly found out that having a dog sit on you that weights as much as you do, isn't too comfy.


Okay, so as you can see, I have our house labeled. Now, remember, we live in a split-level house so what you're seeing is our top story. Hence, more hilly walking for me around that curve in the road.


Now here we are at the stop sign. I've labeled the mailboxes for you. See, not exaggerating.

So when you're checking your mail, be sure and think of me huffing and puffing. And I'll be sure and let you know when I accomplish Goal #1!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need a golf cart with baby seats. Hint Hint: (for Mother's Day) MR

Anonymous said...

You can DO it!
And what a beautiful setting for your house---lovely!
Lu

Friedt Family said...

Wow, the scenery is gorgeous there! Might just have to pop down for a visit sooner than later...it's best to break the baby into the flying thing early, right?? Oh, and I feel your pain on the breathlessness...I get breathless going to my mailbox too and it's attached to the side of the house;-)