Monday, May 4, 2009

Food Network Part 2

I've reported before about JR's food issues. He's still holding on strong to his picky eating, but lately he loves to watch Food Network. I can only guess he's trying to teach himself to cook since I'm not so good. He loves watching Extreme Cake Challenge, which I totally get. (His favorite episode is where they make 'The Simpsons' cakes.) And lately he's become a big fan of Man V. Food. (Which actually is on the Travel Channel, but it's a food show so I'm going to include it.) Just this weekend I found myself calling out, "JR! Come quick! Man V. Food is on!" And here he comes running up the stairs screaming, "What's he doing? What's he eating? Remember when he ate the hottest food in the whole, whole, whole wide world?! Remember?!" But what I don't get is why he likes some of the other shows. Every time he sees the Iron Chef commercials he begs me to let him watch it (we just haven't caught an episode yet), and I sat with him the other day and watched a whole episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats about having a crawfish boil! Now neither JR, nor myself, would ever eat, touch, or even smell a crawfish. But we both now know all the ends and outs about them...(shudder!) He's definitely got 'chef genes' in him (he just didn't get them from me) so maybe this is his chef-ness trying to come out. But since he still refuses to taste or touch most foods, I guess Food Network really is the way to go...no smelling, touching, or tasting required!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Baby steps!

Granny S said...

I already have a picture of the look on his face if a crawfish was even placed anywhere near where he was eating - if he can smell brussel sprouts on the table, well, crawfish don't have a chance. I like the new picture of the guys!

Mendi said...

WHAT?! Not crawfish fans? My 3 year old started eating it at 10 months old!! We boil it up every season. Your so funny Jan. Love your stories!

Anonymous said...

Alton Brown is my personal hero! I love Good Eats--science and cooking hand in hand.
Lu

Lori Anderson said...

We love Man v. Food too! By the way, love your "May" themed captions for the boys - you are so creative!