Thursday, April 3, 2008

Family Land Heritage Award

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Austin. My parents are receiving their plaque from the state of Texas as our land has been in the same family for 100 years. Needless to say, my dad is thrilled. I think there's about 13 of us going up for the presentation. The day starts with a BBQ lunch on the front lawn of the Capitol and then there's a ceremony starting at 3:00. JR is excited about spending the night in a hotel, and the little boys will be thrilled when we get there and see all the family arms for them to sit in. Here is the oldest picture we have of the land. My dad thinks it was taken around 1898. The Reynolds were tenant farmers until they could afford to buy the land in 1907. My grandfather (my dad's dad) is the kid on the far right. If you have ever been to my parents' house, their kitchen table is made out of some of the lumber from the original house that is pictured in the background. And here's what the place looks like today...It's come a long way in 100 years! (Don't worry, my parents' house isn't crooked, it's just my bad picture taking.)
.

3 comments:

Me Me Me said...

I'm so excited for y'all! Take lots of pictures!
We're on our way to Austin tomorrow also!

Kristi said...

Wish we could be there for it all! Don't worry, though, I'll be having tons of fun fighting my way through the millions of baseball moms at the Little League Opening Day Carnival and Ceremonies.

Anonymous said...

We had loads of fun at Heritage Day, and lots of BBQ. The boys are growing by leaps and bounds every day, (Little Jan and Little Jason). Love ya...Lu