Sunday, October 7, 2012

I'm Trying not to Cry

I'm not very good at writing when it comes to the serious stuff.
But today's post is serious stuff.
So serious I can't let myself think very much about it, or my eyes well up with tears.
 
 
Ayi (our Chinese nanny) got baptized this morning.
 
 
She said it's very difficult to do in China,  (Um, yeah, that's the understatement of the year) and wondered if she could do it here.
 
 
And wouldn't you know it, or church was having baptism this morning.
 
 
Our sweet, wonderful Ayi, that we love like a member of the family, was born into Communist China and sent away as a little girl to live with her aunt because her family couldn't afford to feed all the children plus their dogs.
 
 
Who at 16 the government sent away from Beijing to the Russia/Chinese border to live.  She actually said she could "see Russia" from her home. 
(And no, she has no idea Sarah Palin said the same thing.)
 
 
Who has told us she thought Mao Tse Tung was bad.  But that she would have been killed if she'd said it out loud.


A woman who was raised in a country that told her Mao Tse Tung was god. That Communism is the only religion you need.  And people were (and still are) killed or imprisoned for believing otherwise.
 
 
She eventually made it back to Beijing, and when people ask me how she came to be our ayi, I have always said, "God brought her to my front door."
(And please don't think I'm saying God brought her to me because she needed me.  Quite the contrary, I'm the one that needed her.)
 
 
We wouldn't have made it those first 6 months without her.  Our entire family adores her.
 
 
And one day, when we're in heaven, we'll get to talk and talk and talk without my bad Chinese, her bad English, or charades.
 
 
I just couldn't get a good picture of her baptism today.  But I did snap this one after. 
I love the joyful smile on her face.
Love it.

4 comments:

GS said...

Oh the wonderful ways we can see God working. Nine years ago as she landed on your doorstep, she didn't even know who Jesus was and now today, just like us, she belongs to Him. What a huge step for her to take. Thank you Jesus!

Angie Vik said...

I got goosebumps reading this. What a neat story. It brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing this story.

tina said...

i was trying not to cry as i read this post. PTL for His awesomeness! thank you for sharing such wonderful wonderful news!!!

Friedt Family said...

Wow!! What an awesome moment!! I'm all teared up too!!