Friday, June 20, 2008

Fear Factor

Jason's company has started 9-80's (you work 80 hours in 9 days, so you get every other Friday off) So, to celebrate we loaded up the fam and went to the Children's Museum today (just how Jason had pictured his day off, I'm sure.) It was nice; JR enjoyed it...I guess I had built it up in my mind to be some big museum extravaganza since everybody kept telling me I HAD to take JR. They did have lots of things JR loves, that would be any exhibit where falling, rolling, or bouncing balls are involved. And he spent lots of time at those. But, there was one he stayed far, far away from. JR's nemesis. The thing he hates more than all others. The thing that strikes fear through my baby's heart...face painting. Yep, I said it. Face painting. We don't know what it is, but JR will avoid face painting at all costs. His face painting loathing all started back in China during Halloween. His school would let them wear their Halloween costumes and then they would have a party for them. So, to be nice, the teachers would paint their faces. The first year JR went to school he went as Clifford the Big Red Dog. So, they painted his face all red. I'm guessing if I was doing the painting I would have given him some whiskers and a black nose, but being that the Chinese have no idea who Clifford is, they probably thought painting him red was the best bet. And just so you get an idea of what I'm talking about here's a picture from that day. All was well for awhile that day, they went trick-or-treating as a class, put on a cute little show for the moms, and JR was his normal, happy, good-time guy self. It wasn't until we got home that the mass hysteria started. We got home and I'm not sure what his Ayi said to him, but I think the general gist was something like, "JR, you look cute, I love you, run away with me and I'll raise you as my own, and oh by the way, your face is all red." After that he went and looked in the mirror and completely freaked out. I had to not only wash his face, but I believe he demanded a full on bath. He talked about his red face for weeks; he just couldn't get it off his mind...and when I say "talked" I use that term quite loosely. As you all know JR didn't say much of anything until he was 3 so I think it went something like, "Baby Da Woo-Woo Hong Su Boo How" That would be English, Chinese, and JR's own made up language mixed together, which literally translated would be "JR big dog red bad." Ever since that day he hasn't gone anywhere near face painting. Every kid at the museum today had their face's painted, except JR. Jason and I even tease him about it. Well, say, "Look, JR, it's your favorite...face painting!" And he'll start saying, "No! No! No! I don't like it!" Yep, we all have our fears and phobias, and looks like JR's is here to stay...the dreadful art of....face painting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you saying I'll never see JR on t.v. in the football stands with half of his face painted orange and the other half white? MR

Anonymous said...

No never orange and white, but when he becomes an Aggie, the phobia will leave and you might see him there with maroon and white!!!! GS