Monday, May 9, 2011

Bears 3. Jason 0.

So for the 3rd time, Jason and JR came home empty handed from a bear hunt.
(Although it wasn't for lack of trying since Jason's neck is purple it's so sunburned from riding a horse all day.)

Kyle and Reed are now old enough to know when they're getting left behind, so I had to pull out my own "big guns" when it came to entertaining them.
We tried two new things this weekend, which both went surprisingly well.

JR told me he wanted to paint pottery for his birthday party this year, 
(That child never ceases to surprise me with what he comes up with.)
so I went by to reserve the studio for his party.

Guess who thought they needed to paint pottery?

The lady who owns the studio was a typical, artsy Durangoan.
Had she known the rest of the family was on a bear hunt, I probably would have been asked to leave.
But instead, she thought she'd found a kindred spirit in me.

When she asked the boys what colors they wanted to paint with Kyle said, "Pink!"
(Of course he did.)
She immediately looked at me to see how I would react to my son asking for pink.
 I said, "Okay. And Reed what color would you like?"
(I think he picked yellow.)
Her face lit up and she started praising my parenting skills about how wonderful I was to let my son express himself with pink.
Yeah. I just kept my mouth shut.
I had no intentions of telling her that I'm really just a lazy mom and pick my battles. 
Pink paint isn't a battle I feel like fighting.
Besides, he picked out a 4-wheeler to paint. I figured that was manly enough for the day.

I also took them to their first movie.
I figured if we made it halfway through it'd have been worth it.
Poor things don't even weight enough to keep the seat all the way down.

Reed asked me not to take his picture.

There was lots of changing seats, getting in my lap, and of course...shirt taking off.
Yep.
Kyle informed me he was hot and needed to take his shirt off.
And again, my lazy amazing parenting took over and I figured, it's dark, he's 3, who cares?

We made it through the entire movie, and Kyle's shirt was back on before the end.
Total success.
Except for Jason and JR.

3 comments:

Friedt Family said...

Good work Mommy...I am a battle-picker also and most days it's just not worth it for the little things like pink paint and shirts:-)

Jo said...

It sounds like they had fun.

GS said...

When you mentioned them not weighing enough to hold their seats down, a vision came over me of them folded up in the chairs (cartoon style, of course), but it doesn't sound like they sat still long enough to make that happen. Good job guys for making the whole movie! Sorry Jason and JR for the defeat in the bear hunt, however, sounds like the makings for good bonding time.