Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Triple Salchow is Ready

Feathers? Check!
Sequins? Check!
Glitz and Glamour? Check!

Looks like we're a go.
Fabulousness beyond all fabulousness, we're ready for tonight.

I seriously can't help it. I've loved watching men's figure skating in the Olympics since I was a little girl. It all started back in 1984 with Scott Hamilton. I loved him! The way his few wisps of hair he still had left would blow as he spun on those skates. I thought he was amazing. My friend, Stacy, and I went to see him in the Ice Capades. (Stacy and I were also in love with the 1984 Men's Olympic Gymnastics Team, but that's another story.) I ran down to get Scott's autograph and he told me he couldn't give it to me, but he touched my shoulder. And um, yeah, I still tell that story often. One of the first times I met my friend, Sunny, (I was an adult living in Beijing) she told me she was from Sarajevo. I immediately freaked out and started asking her about the '84 Olympics and Scott Hamilton. "Had she gone? Had she seen Scott Hamilton? What was it like?" And since Sarajevo has suffered through a civil war since they hosted the Olympics, I'm pretty sure she thought this American had lost her mind.
My next crush (not really sure "crush" is the right terminology, but I can't think of a better word) was Brian Boitano in the '88 Calgary Olympics. It was the battle of the Brians! The Canadian, Brian Orser, against The American, Brian Boitano. Boitano had on that blue military inspired jumpsuit. Classic. The Ice Capades were passe' 4 years later, but I did get to see Boitano in the Campbell's Soup Stars on Ice! (I still have the flyer in my scrapbook.) My friend, Julie, didn't share the same love for figure skating as I did, but she was happy to go with me and agree that Boitano did, in fact, wave back at me.
Unfortunately, I've had a 22 year dry spell of male figure skating idols. Sure, I've watched them at the Olympics, but nobody has jumped out at me like Scott and Brian did. But I think I've found a new "love". My mouth literally dropped open when Evan Lysacek skated onto the ice in full black sequins and feathers. I woke Jason from a dead sleep trying to make him watch. (You can imagine Jason's excitement, so I texted my friend, JD, instead.) And though Johnny Weir's pink and leather ensemble was pretty darn cute, it was no match for Evan's chiseled cheek bones.
So, yes, I'm looking forward to tonight! The costumes, the pageantry, the jazz hands! Nothing could be better.
Go Evan! (and Johnny and Jeremy!)

4 comments:

Raising Gwen said...

Johnny had the best Jazz hands the other night.

GS said...

Looks like to classics coming up, "soon to be Olympians". You might want to tell Kyle his Paci doesn't match his head gear - that would be a no-no. I had no idea you were such a fan, no wonder the little guys are into it.

Unknown said...

I knew I loved you for a reason! Go sequins!

Anonymous said...

I remember. I remember. MR