Friday, February 12, 2010

Top Chef...Here I Come!

I was looking at a party idea blog the other day and noticed a Chinese themed birthday party. Everything they served was so completely un-Chinese, including fortune cookies (Sorry, but Chinese have no idea what a fortune cookie is...it's totally American.) and sushi. (Sushi is Japanese.) But after further inspection I saw the "sushi" was actually Rice Krispie treats. It was so super cute I called JR over to look at it. He thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen, and begged me to make them for his Valentine's party at school. Without any instructions, and just a picture to look at, I would be winging it, to say the least. But with Anita here to help me, I felt empowered enough to give it a try. I don't have any pictures of the actual Sushi Krispie making process because 'sticky' is an understatement. But they were seriously easy! Anita suggest rolling them into a log and slicing them like you would real sushi, and it worked. It also works to just roll and shape them individually. The "seaweed" is strawberry Fruit Roll-Up and the "salmon", as we were calling the insides, is just sprinkles. I used red since it was Valentine's Day, but if I were making them for another time, I would use green Fruit Roll-Up and green and orange candies to make them look more realistic. The kids in JR's class loved them! They loved them so much that some of the kids ate them before their cupcakes, and one of the moms took a picture of them! And since I just couldn't bring myself to say they were in honor of Chinese New Year, I said, "They're in honor of Lunar New Year", since pretty much all Asians outside of China refer to it as such. And while not Chinese, sushi is definitely Asian.


Photo evidence: Sushi Krispies about to be eaten....Yummy looking cupcake still on plate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute idea. I call you "Over the top, Chef". MR

GS said...

I'm here to tell ya - Martha Stewart doesn't have a chance. Cute idea!

Anonymous said...

How cute--wish I would have seen them early enough to use it in my class. Way to go Top Chef!
Lu

Friedt Family said...

Those are adorable! So creative!! I know you keep saying you aren't good in the kitchen but I think the photo evidence lately begs to differ!