Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spring Festival Continues

Some spring sure would be nice right about now, but I'll just have to settle for celebrating Chinese Spring Festival (AKA: Chinese New Year). Since we already celebrated New Year, I figured we'd call this celebration Spring Festival. (It ends February 28th with the Lantern Festival.) Harry's parents have been here visiting this past week and came over to make jiaozi (dumplings) for their last night here. And sure dumplings are a huge mess and totally labor intensive, but it was fine by me since I have no idea how to make them. That being so, my assistance wasn't needed or asked for in the kitchen. (Just like I like it!) JR has always loved helping his Ayi make dumplings, so of course, he wanted to help Harry's mom. I think he's pretty good at it. He claimed about a dozen were completely made by him.


The babies lined up at the counter to try and help too, but they were better at wearing Year of the Tiger costumes. (And although Tigger, may or may not, actually be a tiger this is as close as we had to tiger paraphernalia.)




There were over 100 dumplings made last night. So, as you can see, I have a few leftovers. But Harry and JR can seriously put away the dumplings, so I'd guess these will all be gone by the end of the day.

5 comments:

GS said...

Oh, how I would love to have been there for the dumpling meal. My very favorite-favorite of all Chinese foods - they actually surpass most American food. No doubt they will be gone - I have been know to eat them for breakfast - cold.

Anonymous said...

Us Norwegians make something like those Chinese dumplings!! We call them "potato klub" (pronounced kloob)!!! We even have Klub dinners around here for the public!!
JoAnn

Mendi said...

I love Bud Light lime....and dumplings.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness JR is learning to make Chinese dumplings and the Tigger tigers added the festive to Spring Festival. Maw Maw

Raising Gwen said...

Really, Jan? Bud Light with lime????