Sunday, November 28, 2010

What a Way to Spend an Evening*

*Please sing the title as if you were singing the 2nd verse to the chorus of 9 to 5.


My friend, JD, said it better than I ever could, so I'm stealing this straight from his blog:
 "If you’re not a Dolly Parton fan, then don’t continue to read. (Actually, if you’re not a Dolly Parton fan then we probably shouldn’t be friends.)"

And really, truer words have never been spoken. 

I love Dolly. I love to hear her sing. I love to watch her act.
(There are about 5 movies that I will always watch when they are on TV.  Dolly is in 3 of them.
Steel Magnolias, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and 9 to 5.)

And speaking of 9 to 5, Jason took me to see 9 to 5 The Musical on closing night at the Hobby Center in Houston. 
I knew it was going to be good since JD and Shelley (TX Shelley, not CO Shelly) had already told me I would love it. But I really tried not to get my hopes up. I was super excited to see it, but at the same time I didn't want to be disappointed if it wasn't gooooood

This is what I looked like before the curtain rose.  This would be my I'm super happy to be here face.

And that smile didn't leave my face through the entire performance.

It was SO GOOD!
I loved it, loved it, loved it.
And I think the best way to describe how much I loved it would be to recount my phone conversation the next day with my friend, Caroline. (Caroline and I love all the same things.)

Me: Caroline! We have to talk about 9 to 5 The Musical!
Caroline: Ohhhhh! Was it so good?!
Me: It was amazing!
Caroline: Was the Violet and the candy striper scene in it? You know that's my favorite part! 
Me: It was! Everything we love was in it! But you're not going to believe this. They wear the same costumes as the movie. THE SAME COSTUMES, CAROLINE!
Caroline: You're kidding!
Me: No! But listen.
(Dramatic pause)
The Doralee character wears the blue leather coat with the white fur collar.
Caroline: Nooooo! I love the blue leather coat with the white fur collar!
Me: I know!

And the conversation went on like that for about 30 minutes. 

And if you're thinking "I have no idea what coat Jan's talking about." 
Well, as a little girl I thought it was the most beautiful coat I had ever seen in my life. And let's just be honest, if I could find that coat I'd put it on and strut around town today.

I had a hard time finding a picture of the blue leather coat. I could only find this one of Dolly wearing it, so I also included a picture of it from the musical.



 And if any of you would like a full reenactment of any scene, I'm happy to oblige! (blue leather coat optional)

2 comments:

Shelley said...

LOVE IT!!! Loved the blog and the pics of the blue coat and the musical!! AWESOME!

Stacy said...

So jealous! Looks awesome! You know how much I love Dolly too....I remember how my momma just about DIED when I came home from girl scout camp and told her how I had sang all the Dolly songs from Best Litttle Whorehouse around the campfire! Good times!!