Saturday, February 19, 2011

One Month From Today

I didn't even realize it until Marcia posted on her blog this morning that we are running the Canyonlands Half one month from today!
I knew I needed to practice racing, so how perfect that I had signed up for the Animas River Trail 5K.
.
Now, like I've said before, running is a sad, pitiful afterthought to the other athletic biggies here in Durango.
(With biking being the king.)
But just because there aren't tons of runners, doesn't mean that the ones that are here aren't good.
They're amazing.

Which means the people who do show up for a 5K in the middle of February are insanely good.
Like today when I overheard a 13 year-old girl talking about how she averages 22 minutes for a 5K.
To say I'm out of my league is an understatement.
But, like always, you know I'm going to let you share in my out-of-leagueness.

Here I am pre-race.
(pre-pony tail and stocking cap) 
Cause as much as I love a hat, a stocking cap isn't the greatest look on me. 
I'm also make-upless...although since I'm turning more and more into my mother each day, I am wearing lip tint Chapstick.
It was a balmy 38 degrees this morning, so I decided to sit in the car til race time (since I wasn't going to run warm-up sprints with the others).

I try to blend in as much as possible, so I wore all black.  Except for my gloves.
 I've gotta have a pop of color somewhere!
(I didn't have my hand on the ground, it just looks that way)

Oh, and I just got some new running shoes.  I've made the switch from my MBTs to Asics.  They felt good, so I'll be wearing these at Canyonlands.

So how do you know when you're a serious runner?
When you show up to run in 38 degrees like this guy.
He came in 3rd.

All in all, I was satisfied with my run. 
I ran it in 31:21. 
When I told Jason he said, "Is that good?"
(It makes me feel better that Jason knows as much about running as I do about hunting.)
 I said, "Well, I was 21 seconds away from running 10 minute miles." 
So for me, yeah that's pretty good. 

4 comments:

GS said...

Congrats - that sounds really good - actually, the fact that you got out in 38 degrees weather sounds really good. The guy in stocking cap and shorts resembles one of Reed or Kyle's ensembles - think I have seen that same orange stocking cap on Kyle.

Unknown said...

Nice time! You are going to rock the Half!

Anonymous said...

Pink mittens, pink lip tint...you're ready to run! MR

Angie Vik said...

I'm so impressed that you like to run and you're brave enough to run races and that you do it in February is extra commendable. I know diddly about races but if you're pleased then I say "Congratulations on your good time."