Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Go Ahead and Laugh

So I have pushed the boundaries of Cub Scout activities, (hand print Santas as a "useful gift") until I can push no more. 

I have studied "Achievement 5" in the Wolf Handbook looking for a way to "Jan-it-up" until I might have made myself a little nauseous.
There's just no way around it.
Achievement 5, Tools for Building and Fixing, you got me.

Guess what the first requirement is?
 Tool naming.
They have 7 certain ones listed, and you should have seen me digging around Jason's tool box trying to find them! 
I literally had the book in one hand looking at the pictures.
(Yes, you may laugh at that visual.)

I was almost giddy when I thought I found an "awl" (apparently you use it to "punch holes"), only to discover I was actually holding a soldering iron.

This is killing me. 
The only tool I ever use is a hot glue gun...and it's not even on the list!

And no matter how many times I read Achievement 5, I know there's no way I'm going to be able to fake my way through teaching a pack of 7-year olds how to properly use a pair of slip-joint pliers.

But I have a plan.

This plan has served me well for almost 10 years and I think it's going to come in handy tonight:
You see, I'm not the best cook. 
And Jason?
Well, Jason's a great cook. 
So if I go in the kitchen and start banging lots of pots and pans around, he'll usually come and help me.  And, of course, 'help' means he just does it himself.

So if I get up there tonight and flail around, make some loud noises, and drop a couple of tools, I'm hoping some of the dads will come to my rescue. 
That, or I'm informing Jason he's teaching when he shows up.

Oh, and here I am getting ready for tonight. 
Take a good long look cause I'm not exactly sure what all I'm even holding.

6 comments:

Jo said...

To funny! Let me know how your plan works out for you!

Joseph said...

i'm pretty sure one of those is a juicer, right?

Anonymous said...

Let's see....I think one of those might be the hammer. MR

Unknown said...

Oh my. That is awesome! Perhaps if we got you your own pink set?

Anonymous said...

LOL! I have visions of Jan, the tool girl (remember Tim the Tool Man's beautiful assistant?) I bet you will do a great job--the plan will probably work! Keep us updated...Lu

leiamarie82 said...

I'm married to an Eagle Scout, so my boys are definitely going to have to do this. I'm so not ready. I was feeling really good about myself just because I know the difference between a phillips and a flathead. I obviously have a lot more work to do.