Monday, February 7, 2011

Soooo Pretty

After all the machoism of the Super Bowl, I thought we'd go in a completely different direction today. 
But before we do, I seriously gained 5lbs watching a game that I could care less about.  But when yummies are available at a Super Bowl party that look like this...well, I just can't help myself.

Anyway, It seems like I'm a magnet for "interesting folks" who live here in Durango.

If somebody is going to say or do something even slightly unusual, they're going to say or do it to me.

Right before I left for Reno I ran by the Durango Mall (although it shouldn't even be allowed to have the word 'mall' in the title) to Beall's to buy some make-up. 
As I was looking for what I wanted, a salesman approached me. I looked up, and noticed he was wearing a full face of make-up.

Now, had he been in full on Ru Paul drag, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.
But since he was dressed in men's clothes, but had a gorgeous face of "night-on-the-town make-up", I was quite taken aback.
I couldn't figure out what to say.

Was I supposed to act like this was normal?
Was I supposed to compliment him? (His make-up really was pretty.)
I was at a lost.

After he asked me if I'd just gotten my eyebrows waxed (I had), and offered me some cooling gel for them, I felt like we were bonding and decided I had to say something.

Me: Your eyelashes look amazing.  Are they fake, or are they yours?
(I figured that was a compliment I would like, and his eyelashes really did look good.)
Sales guy: No, their mine. But I used the mascara that you're getting in your Clinique Bonus Gift!
Me: Oh, Awesome! I'll be sure to try it out.

When I told my mom this story, she (who's obviously way more worldly than I am) acted like this was nothing new.  "Oh, all the M-A-C make-up salesman in Vegas look like that.  And when they make you up, they make you look like a drag queen!  But ya know, nobody's prettier than a drag queen!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those make-up artist. MR

Unknown said...

Ohmygoodness! Seriously, this stuff only happens to you! I have NEVER seen the drag queen makeup artist. That may or may not have something to do with the fact that I avoid those places like the plague, but still...

At least he did it right.

GS said...

Is that bacon wrapped jalepenos on that platter with a little cream cheese oozing out of them? That is a Texan's delight! You are allowed a few pounds with things like that around.

Jo said...

We call the Mail a "Hall" - the Durango Hall sounds much more fitting. Funny story!