Thursday, October 22, 2009

I Couldn't Make This Up Either

I went to the doctor today (I'm fine, just a routine visit) and as I was checking in I noticed a black Lab wandering around behind the counter. Surprisingly, I've now lived here long enough that at that moment it didn't even strike me as odd that there was a dog (especially a Lab since 95% of the population here owns one, usually two) hanging out. I went on back to the exam room and really didn't give it much thought again until the dog followed the doctor into the room. Can I repeat that for emphasis...followed the doctor into the room. And I guess this is normal practice because the doctor only sent the dog back out because Kyle and Reed were with me. When I was finished, there was the dog sitting at the door waiting for the doctor. I then went to check-out, and guess who was behind the counter. Yep, another dog! I think this one was some kind of Shih Tzu mix since it had an overbite. Now I will say dogs wandering around the doctor's office and behind the counter are quite entertaining for my under 2 crowd. But as I was discussing with my friend, Caroline, as cute as it is to walk into a little boutique and see a "store dog" wandering around, I'm not sure it's cute at all in a doctor's office. In fact, wouldn't you think that's breaking some sort of health code? I mean, is that even legal? Of course it's legal here in Durango, I'll probably be the one who ends up on the Police Blotter for even mentioning it. But dogs at the doctor's office? Surely that's as dog loving as it gets here!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too weird!
Lu

Jill said...

Ok that's crazy! I've never seen that and I'm sure there's got to be some health code violation :) Only in Dog-rango...Or Boulder I suppose. Ya know in Boulder you are a pet guardian, not a pet owner. If we only treated our children that well...

Anonymous said...

Two dogs..two babies..too funny.MR

GS said...

I can see the headlines now "TEXAS Woman arrested for objecting to dog watching during Drs. visit".

Miss. Jinny said...

Oh my goodness thanks for the laugh! I will be looking for your name in the police part of the paper for sure :)