Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mary Lou Part 2

Last week I predicted they'd break out the pommel horse at Tiny Tots today. Well, it wasn't the pommel horse; it was the vault. So much easier, right? They were to run up to the vault, jump on the springboard, and land on top of the vault feet first. This happens to be one of the skills JR is still working on in his gymnastics class, so of course it's totally appropriate for the 3 and under crowd. Obviously the babies were never going to be able to jump feet first onto a 4 ft high vault, so basically they stood on the springboard and I slung them up there stomach first. You'll just have to imagine that one since I don't have any artist renditions of that particular apparatus. But what I do have for you is what we looked like when we moved on to the bars. They were to do bat hangs (hang and bring your feet up to your hands) from the high bar. I needed to be in ready position to catch them (since they were hanging 7 feet off the ground), but for some reason I was being attacked by a swarm of gnats. It was about that time I found myself breaking out in a flop sweat. The heat was on in the gym (since it was 45 degrees outside), I was wearing pants and long sleeves (since it was 45 degrees outside), my children were dangling from the bar above me, and I was being mauled by a pack of gnats. And as Jason will confirm, I don't do well with bugs (swarming, crawling, or otherwise). So here we are today. Babies hanging, and me slapping gnats. Thankfully nobody was injured in the hanging/gnat fiasco; we all came out of it unscathed.
(I actually drew this to resemble me swatting gnats, but after looking at it, those gnats could also double as my flop sweat....so really, it works both ways.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, "gnats" funny. Sorry...I couldn't resist saying it. MR

allison said...

What are gnats doing inside a gym??

Jan said...

Allison, I have no idea...the place kinda smells like sweaty kids so maybe they swarmed in for a whiff of that ;-)

GS said...

Sweaty kids AND sweaty moms it sounds like. AH - I don't see a mat under this 7 ft fall they just might take - again, good granny wasn't there. I assume they are still having a blast.