Thursday, December 24, 2009

Wrap It Up....Please!

I will not let you defeat me. I will not let you bring me down on this Christmas Eve. Instead, pesky Wrapping Paper, I am choosing to celebrate. Celebrate that I am the worst present wrapper in the entire world. Yes! I am the champion; the gold medalist. Release the doves, because I have taken my stance on the podium. With tears streaming down my face, I raise my bouquet of flowers in the air as the last notes of The Star-Spangled Banner swell. I win. Worst present wrapper. Ever.
I truly believe I might have some sort of depth perception problem. I always cut the paper just a little too short, or have enough left over to make myself a cute paper trench coat. I try my hardest to make the paper look smooth and pretty, I really do. But, as you can see, it always bunches up and looks puffy...even on easy small square presents. It's so bad, in fact, that my mom even says it's bad. And you know it's really bad when the mother of an only-child-daughter says so.
But this year I've had a revelation. It tells us in Luke that Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes. And though swaddling clothes sound really sweet and pretty, let's be honest, poor Mary was wrapping her new born Baby in whatever strips of cloth she could find. And if the Best Christmas Present ever was wrapped in a patchwork of torn cloth, then I'm pretty sure my wrappings this year will only remind us of Who we celebrate this Christmas Eve. That's right, I didn't just give up and start taping strips of wrapping paper to this box. Spiderman and Yo Gabba Gabba are coming together in a mishmash of messiness to point us straight to The Manger.

Merry Christmas!
Luke 2:11: For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I would also like to point out that there is no Biblical record of Mary or Joseph unwrapping any of the gifts that the wise men brought. Those dudes were in WAY too big a hurry to see the King to stop and pay extra at the wrapping station outside of Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh & Beyond. :-)