Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's A Sunshine Day...Right Now

We were living in Beijing during Hurricane Katrina (praise the Lord). And during that time we were talking about living in Houston and dealing with hurricanes and tornadoes. Our Bosnian friend, Sunny, looked at us and with all seriousness said, "Why would you live in such a place?" Jason and I really didn't have an answer except to say "that's where we call home". You'd never know it to look outside, it's just a normal, hot, sunny, Houston day...but Hurricane Ike is on its way, and it looks like we're going to take a pretty direct hit. We've decided to stay put and "ride it out". You might be thinking, "Their crazy! Why would they do that?" Well, with hurricanes, you really never know what the safest thing is to do. Parts of Houston near the coast are under mandatory evacuation; we are not. (We're about 10 miles from downtown, Galveston is about an hour drive for us). Jason and I have both been through a hurricane before-Alicia in 1983. They aren't fun, they can be very scary, but we've made the choice to stay. The mayor made an announcement that Houston will be closed on Friday- basically we're just supposed to stay put and be ready. The storm is supposed to hit early Saturday morning, and we'll for sure be without power for quite awhile, so I'll keep you updated best I can.

3 comments:

Me Me Me said...

We're staying home too!

Anonymous said...

Crockett and Huntsville are shelters for many people. The car lines and the people lines are awful. I dread you losing your power with those babies. MR

Anonymous said...

Well, Ben and I are staying put too! Chris, Kristi and the boys have gone to San Antonio to stay with Chris' brother Joe. Sarah is all over us to come to Stephenville to escape the storm. However, I am not anxious to be in that traffic again--we did it for Rita! Let's send up lots of prayers for safety for all.
Love ya..Lu