Sunday, March 29, 2009

Can You Give Me A Ride?

I know you can't believe it's a two post day, but I've got another "story" to share. Jason and I are really trying to get into this Durango outdoorsy lifestyle. We even bought a little bike stroller for the babies to ride in so we could start riding our bikes (they keep climbing out of their highchairs, so we were worried they wouldn't sit in JR's old bicycle seats). So this afternoon we dusted off the old Beijing bikes (mine complete with a front basket and bell) and got everybody loaded up and ready to go. Let me stop my story there to give you a little back-story. We rode our bikes in Beijing a lot. Enough that we even went out and bought ourselves another set of bikes so we'd have a set for guests. We rode everywhere: church, grocery store, friends' houses, out to eat. And JR always rode to and from preschool perched on the back of my bike. So though we don't consider ourselves "bikers", we do enjoy going for a family bike ride. Which brings me back to today. Before we even started we realized that the hill going up our street might be too much for JR. So we put him the bike stroller with Kyle, and Reed on the back of my bike (thinking he would be the less likely of the two to try and climb out). About 35 seconds into the bike ride I started thinking,"Wow, I'm really out of shape." That thought then progressed to. "Hummm, this is really hard. Maybe I should switch gears." I then became completely focused on the fact that I'm panting and might be having a heart attack. About this time Jason catches up and I say:
"I can't do this.
*gasp! wheeze!*
I'm going to have to
*gasp!*
walk the bike
*gasp!*
up this hill.
*wheeze!* "
Jason, always the analytical one, says:
"How's that going to help you?
*gasp!*
The whole neighborhood
*gasp! wheeze!*
is like this.
*gasp!*"
Jason and I have taken walks around the neighborhood, and of course we would be breathing a little heavy going up the hills...but nothing like this! Seems we didn't give any consideration to the fact that we live at 7,500 ft. elevation and ON A MOUNTAIN. And that it might be difficult to bike at 7,500 ft...ON A MOUNTAIN! We tried finding as many downhill streets as possible, and I think I only had to get off and push my bike 3 times during our 10 minute (if that) ride. Needless to say, the bike stroller is already back in the box and will be returned as soon as we can get back to town. As Jason put it, "I guess we just need to stick to walking." So enjoy this picture of the babies in the bike stroller, cause it's the last time you'll see it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gasp. Wheeze. What a day. MR

kyle and robin said...

kudos to you for trying. we live ON a bike path, nowhere near a mountain, and we don't even own bikes. sad.

Granny S said...

The little guys appear to be having a great time in their 'once in a life time' experience!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Kyle and Reed were enjoying the ride--too bad they won't experience it again soon. I totally understand. Gasp Gasp on the mountains!
Lu